What complaints Resolution can consider

We will deal with any complaint about a member who has breached our Code of Practice or where a Resolution Mediator who has breached the FMC Code of Practice.

We can only deal with complaints if:

  • You have already exhausted the internal complaints procedure with the firm concerned.
  • There are no ongoing proceedings or negotiations.
  • You have not sued for negligence, and you do not intend to sue for negligence.
  • The complaint is not a matter that should properly be dealt with by a regulator or the court.
  • The matter giving rise to the complaint must not have been completed more than 12 months ago.
  • The complaint must not relate to a case Resolution has previously dealt with.

If you don't think your complaint relates to our Code of Practice, there are other possibilities you can explore.

If your complaint is about a solicitor, you can complain to The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). They will look at complaints if you think that a solicitor has breached SRA Principles of Good Practice.

If you have a complaint about a barrister’s professional misconduct or a disciplinary issue you can contact the Bar Standards Board.

If your complaint is about a Legal Executive, you can make a complaint to the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx).

The Legal Ombudsman is an independent and impartial organisation that can investigate complaints and - if it is not possible to resolve the problem - they have the power to reduce a lawyer's bill or, in some cases, order the lawyer to pay you compensation. If you wish to talk to them about whether you can make a complaint to them, call their helpline on 0300 555 0333 or email enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk.