Resolution Manifesto for Family Law
Divorce and separation are issues which directly affect hundreds of thousands of people in England and Wales every year. They are a fact of modern life.
And yet our laws are distinctly ‘unmodern’. The law needs to catch up quickly.
Resolution’s Manifesto for Family Law sets out what the next government should do in order to improve the lives of separating and separated families across England and Wales, for marriages, civil partnerships and unmarried couples. The current laws around divorce and separation are often barriers to finding constructive outcomes in separation.
Resolution’s Manifesto identifies six key areas where changes are needed to our family justice system:
- Protect vulnerable people going through separation
- Introduce measures to help separating people reach agreements out of court
- Introduce a Parenting Charter to help parents understand their responsibilities when they separate
- Allow people to divorce without blame
- Help people understand how their divorce will affect their future finances
- Provide at least basic legal rights for couples who live together if they separate
We want to see a family justice system that:
- provides support through relationship breakdown
- puts children first, helping separating / separated parents to work together in the child’s best interests
- provides fair and lasting outcomes on relationship breakdown
- protects all those at risk of harm and sufferers of domestic abuse